Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User saltandpepper3's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    saltandpepper3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    saltandpepper3 is offline

    Advice for a plateau

    42 yo male. I trained hard in my 20's with plenty of experience dieting and cutting and used to cut down under 10% BF at 6'1" 200......but that was almost 20 years ago. I let myself go bad in the last 5 years. I ballooned up to 296 and decided to get the ship back on course. I dropped 84lb in 7 months but I got to 212 at around 22% BF and hit an absolute wall. I've been doing Keto and 16/8IF at 2000 calories. The weight crept from 212 to 214 over 3 weeks with the same cardio/workout. I increased the cardio for 2 weeks and no change. So I decided to tinker with the diet and give Keto/IF a break. I moved to a more traditional 5 meal diet at 1800 cals (51f/135c/200p) and that went horribly wrong. I went up to 218 and my stomach felt terrible all day. I made the switch back to Keto at 2000 cals(I tried 1800 on keto before and my body did not feel right). I run my keto just a hair shy of the 70% fat threshold to get a little more protein. I'm at 150f/30c/132p and half of those carbs are fiber. Within 2 weeks of going back to the keto I came back down to 213 and I've been hovering at 213-214 for 3 weeks. My cardio is up to 1 hour(elliptical, bike, boxing) in addition to weight training 5 days and 10,000 steps daily.

    Right now it feels like my body is defying the laws of thermodynamics, and my gut says if I just hold right here and wait it out things will start moving again. I've just never hit this type of plateau before because this is the first time I've ever tried cutting BF naturally, cutting at 42 naturally is definitely not the same as doing it at 23 with "assistance". To this point, I haven't been using any legal supplements(fat burners, etc) either. Just real food and vitamin supplement regimen. Trying to focus more on overall health than just my appearance.

    So, should I wait it out or does anyone with experience have advice for a tweak?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 7,397
    Rep Power: 26162
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    For the plateau, eat less.

    For observing that it's harder to get shredded naturally than when you were enhanced & presumably more active as well, that's largely the case at any age.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User saltandpepper3's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    saltandpepper3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    saltandpepper3 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    For the plateau, eat less.

    For observing that it's harder to get shredded naturally than when you were enhanced & presumably more active as well, that's largely the case at any age.
    For anyone reading this thread, know that "eat less" is a bad approach. Its about being in a caloric deficit and having your macros on point. If your BMR is 2000 cal, don't drop too far below that. You're far better off increasing your caloric output to increase your deficit than lowing your caloric intake. Unless you want to look like Kevin Durant.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 7,397
    Rep Power: 26162
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    For anyone reading this thread, know that "eat less" is a bad approach. Its about being in a caloric deficit and having your macros on point. If your BMR is 2000 cal, don't drop too far below that. You're far better off increasing your caloric output to increase your deficit than lowing your caloric intake. Unless you want to look like Kevin Durant.
    Nice, so you had the correct answer to your own post from the start. Good job!
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    NASM-CPT xsquid99's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Location: Stanwood, Washington, United States
    Posts: 5,129
    Rep Power: 42705
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    xsquid99 is offline
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    For anyone reading this thread, know that "eat less" is a bad approach. Its about being in a caloric deficit and having your macros on point. If your BMR is 2000 cal, don't drop too far below that. You're far better off increasing your caloric output to increase your deficit than lowing your caloric intake. Unless you want to look like Kevin Durant.
    Yeah no... I'd rather not eat that 300 calorie thing than spend an hour on the treadmill trying to burn off those calories.

    And why would you come here and basically say you don't know what you're doing and then rebut the first piece of good advice you got? He's basically right, eat less = take in less overall calories = increase your calorie deficit.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 08-17-2022 at 02:29 PM.
    IG: @ironhousetraining

    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

    Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User saltandpepper3's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    saltandpepper3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    saltandpepper3 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Nice, so you had the correct answer to your own post from the start. Good job!
    My response to you wasn't an answer to my post. I'm looking for specific advice about tweaking diet and cardio, as well as possible supplementation. My response was just to let anyone who may be doing a search in the future that comes across this thread to know that the advice to "eat less" is not always the advice you should be listening to. These forums only work if people give quality answers based in knowledge with reasons to back up that answer. That's how people learn from other people's experience and knowledge. I used to be a moderator on a different forum and one of the things I used to try to stress to everyone is that you don't have to reply to every post. Reply when you have solid information or legitimate questions that help further the discussion. Don't be the guy who jumps in with "workout more" or "eat less". Make sure that everything you post is a legitimate effort to help someone get better.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 4,950
    Rep Power: 31388
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    Don't be the guy who jumps in with "workout more"
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    You're far better off increasing your caloric output
    You beat me to it.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

    You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep others warm.
    Unknown
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 7,397
    Rep Power: 26162
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    My response to you wasn't an answer to my post. I'm looking for specific advice about tweaking diet and cardio, as well as possible supplementation. My response was just to let anyone who may be doing a search in the future that comes across this thread to know that the advice to "eat less" is not always the advice you should be listening to. These forums only work if people give quality answers based in knowledge with reasons to back up that answer. That's how people learn from other people's experience and knowledge. I used to be a moderator on a different forum and one of the things I used to try to stress to everyone is that you don't have to reply to every post. Reply when you have solid information or legitimate questions that help further the discussion. Don't be the guy who jumps in with "workout more" or "eat less". Make sure that everything you post is a legitimate effort to help someone get better.
    Nice, so you moderate who is allowed to respond to your posts & determine which responses are valid. Good job!
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User saltandpepper3's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    saltandpepper3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    saltandpepper3 is offline
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Yeah no... I'd rather not eat that 300 calorie thing than spend an hour on the treadmill trying to burn off those calories.

    And why would you come here and basically say you don't know what you're doing and then rebut the first piece of good advice you got? He's basically right, eat less = take in less overall calories = increase your calorie deficit.
    Guys, what's happening here? I didn't say I didn't know what I was doing. The first sentence of my post is explaining that I do know what I'm doing. I'm just looking for help with a tweak or two from people with experience. These forums used to be really good and had a solid community of people discussing things and helping each other out. Is that gone?

    Also, there are kids getting on these boards who have no idea about diet and nutrition and to tell them to eat less could be pretty harmful. It could be setting them up for malnutrition, poor health, eating disorders, etc. It could also hinder their results. You have to help people understand concepts and the basic building blocks of physiology and how nutrition drives that. Sure, you can eat 1400-1500 calories and do nothing and lose weight but at what cost to your overall health, your muscle retention, your metabolism, your mental health? Or you can eat 2000 calories and burn more in the gym and be healthy.

    The point of my post was to hopefully be read by people with solid knowledge and experience who have specific tips for helping push through a plateau. My caloric deficit is averaging 1200 calories a day, which is above the 750 that I would like. Calories aren't the only part of the equation.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 52
    Posts: 7,397
    Rep Power: 26162
    air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    These forums used to be really good and had a solid community of people discussing things and helping each other out. Is that gone?
    I get that you're an alt, but Join Date = Aug 2022. You certainly don't have to take advice given, but to state that it's invalid or that people shouldn't respond or that they aren't trying to help simply because you don't like the advice isn't productive for discussion.

    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    Also, there are kids getting on these boards who have no idea about diet and nutrition and to tell them to eat less could be pretty harmful. It could be setting them up for malnutrition, poor health, eating disorders, etc. It could also hinder their results. You have to help people understand concepts and the basic building blocks of physiology and how nutrition drives that.
    You said you're 42 & the advice is being given to you specifically & your stated situation. This whole thing where you want to dictate the requirements of responses to your own post isn't productive for discussion.

    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    The point of my post was to hopefully be read by people with solid knowledge and experience who have specific tips for helping push through a plateau. My caloric deficit is averaging 1200 calories a day, which is above the 750 that I would like. Calories aren't the only part of the equation.
    If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit & certainly not in a 1200 cal deficit/day. That's not an opinion, it's a definition. You asked for advice on how to break that plateau & people gave it. You don't have to take the advice but it doesn't make it any less valid or helpful. You certainly could've had a productive discussion about your specific understandings, beliefs, preferences, goals, etc., but you went in an unproductive direction. It's your body & you have the right to approach your nutrition & workouts however you want, so good luck!
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User saltandpepper3's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    saltandpepper3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    saltandpepper3 is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I get that you're an alt, but Join Date = Aug 2022. You certainly don't have to take advice given, but to state that it's invalid or that people shouldn't respond or that they aren't trying to help simply because you don't like the advice isn't productive for discussion.



    You said you're 42 & the advice is being given to you specifically & your stated situation. This whole thing where you want to dictate the requirements of responses to your own post isn't productive for discussion.



    If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit & certainly not in a 1200 cal deficit/day. That's not an opinion, it's a definition. You asked for advice on how to break that plateau & people gave it. You don't have to take the advice but it doesn't make it any less valid or helpful. You certainly could've had a productive discussion about your specific understandings, beliefs, preferences, goals, etc., but you went in an unproductive direction. It's your body & you have the right to approach your nutrition & workouts however you want, so good luck!
    Enjoy your board, guys. Sorry I came here.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    NASM-CPT xsquid99's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2013
    Location: Stanwood, Washington, United States
    Posts: 5,129
    Rep Power: 42705
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    xsquid99 is offline
    Originally Posted by saltandpepper3 View Post
    Enjoy your board, guys. Sorry I came here.
    Good luck to you too, enjoy your plateau.
    IG: @ironhousetraining

    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

    Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 54,520
    Rep Power: 1337927
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau
    Some belong to strangers, some to folks you know
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts