Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need advice.

  1. #1
    Registered User Construct33's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Construct33 is offline

    Talking Need advice.

    Hey need some advice. Been going to the gym just a little over 3 months, 5 days a week. I am 5' 9" 175 to 180lbs. 43 years old.

    I don't do cardio which may be my problem. My weight hasn't changed much really from the beginning. Just bounce between the 5lbs differences.



    I do
    Day 1-Chest, Biceps
    Day 2- Back
    Day 3- Shoulder, Triceps
    Day 4- Legs
    Workout about 1hr 1/2

    Use creatine, bcaa, whey protein, 3 scoops. Weight gainer maybe twice a week.


    After looking at the January 7th photo I kinda feel like my belly is looking fatter and can't really tell much difference. I use the weight gainer cause been struggling to eat and my wife was saying I looked like a crack head in my face. I want more cut, what do I need to do to look more musclar. How do I lose the fat pack and also keep gaining muscle.

    Tried to post pictures but need 50 post to do so.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Construct33's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Construct33 is offline
    I posted pictures in my photo gallery if click on my profile. Down toward the bottom. First photo is from the 7th, rest and from today the 24th.

    Still trying to figure out how to post photo in my post. Not sure where the body space is at to get new poster photo in new post without the 50 post. Sorry

    Forgot to say, I also have a shoulder impingement in my left shoulder. It effects my lifts. The pain gets more unbearable causing failure before totally burnout of the muscle.Also have a very painful pain about 2 inches down from my elbow on my left forarm. Making Biceps curl workout very hard. This pain is caused by gripping. Each lift causes more intense pain, but once I let go a rushing of pain happens.
    Last edited by Construct33; 01-24-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Moderator SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 53,965
    Rep Power: 1336550
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    If your goal is to gain muscle, lack of cardio is not the issue (even if it was to lose fat at this time, cardio is still not necessary, just adjust calorie intake).

    You can upload photos into your bodyspace without reaching the 50 post minimum. At 180lbs you probably could lose some fat but I would initially see how far you can push progress staying around maintenance.

    BTW, this forum is very quiet, I would post in the Workout Programs forum for more footfall to this thread.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    joe joewattie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: rochester, ny
    Age: 75
    Posts: 213
    Rep Power: 2997
    joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    joewattie is offline
    Ouch (to the part of trying to lift with injuries).

    First, it's only been three months. Many to most of us don't see complete body transformations in only three months. So take pride in something else for a bit. Perhaps you're doing more weight, more reps, more sets than you were in the beginning?

    Second, some types of pain are normal and some are not. Listen to your body talk. Have you seen a doctor regarding what you're experiencing? (I have and the physical therapy they put me through really helped.) Until then maybe a wrap for your left forearm?

    Third, you're doing like a full hour and a half for just your back? As a "newbie" you go through "recruitment", e.g., less is more. You're a bit past that now but, still, I dunno. I think split routines are great but given that you're new and are working with injuries a full body might be more appropriate for now. Frequency might make up for intensity/volume and the lesser intensity/volume might go easier on the injuries.

    Given the injuries you might try just using the "old man" stationary weight machines for a bit? They offer a level of stabilization that sometimes takes the pressure off of the injured parts. They also allow for uneven efforts like allowing to right side to do a little more while the left does a little less. Some of the machines even allow you to load more weight on one side than the other.

    And the seated curl machine. You don't really even need to "grip", you can lift with open hands.

    And the bench. Elbows in a bit, less stress on the shoulder.

    But with machines you'd have less options for filling out an hour and a half routine. So maybe go to a full body workout. Less lifts per body part per session but more body parts per session. Yeah, doesn't sound great but everything gets hit three times a week so it kind of evens out. At least for now.

    And I don't quite get the "weight gainer" for someone who's concerned about carrying extra weight?

    I'm sorry, I have no magic. Good luck!
    Last edited by joewattie; 01-25-2022 at 04:02 PM.
    joe Henry
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    joe joewattie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: rochester, ny
    Age: 75
    Posts: 213
    Rep Power: 2997
    joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    joewattie is offline
    Originally Posted by Construct33 View Post
    Day 1-Chest, Biceps
    Day 2- Back
    Day 3- Shoulder, Triceps
    Day 4- Legs
    Workout about 1hr 1/2
    I was looking at my last post where I suggested a "Full Body" over a "Split" routine. There are other options. You could modify your split routine. Splits work because you really bang a muscle group hard and really need the extra days for recovery. Full Body works because you don't bang a muscle group as hard, but need less time for recovery, so you can bang it more often.

    So take a look at your Day 1. Chest and biceps. They are both SORE spots for you and you bang them BOTH hard. So modify your Split a bit. For example;

    Day 1 - Back, EZ Biceps
    Day 2 - EZ Chest, EZ shoulder, Triceps
    Day 3 - Legs, EZ Biceps
    Day 4 - EZ Shoulder, EZ chest, Triceps

    It's not perfect but instead of banging Biceps hard you bang them light but twice a week. Modify as you think best because it's all about you so you know best.
    joe Henry
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Construct33's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Age: 52
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Construct33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Construct33 is offline
    Originally Posted by joewattie View Post
    I was looking at my last post where I suggested a "Full Body" over a "Split" routine. There are other options. You could modify your split routine. Splits work because you really bang a muscle group hard and really need the extra days for recovery. Full Body works because you don't bang a muscle group as hard, but need less time for recovery, so you can bang it more often.

    So take a look at your Day 1. Chest and biceps. They are both SORE spots for you and you bang them BOTH hard. So modify your Split a bit. For example;

    Day 1 - Back, EZ Biceps
    Day 2 - EZ Chest, EZ shoulder, Triceps
    Day 3 - Legs, EZ Biceps
    Day 4 - EZ Shoulder, EZ chest, Triceps

    It's not perfect but instead of banging Biceps hard you bang them light but twice a week. Modify as you think best because it's all about you so you know best.
    Sorry for delay took week vacation.
    I do core every day. But on Back Day I do more exercise for core training.

    From pervious post I use weight gainer to try help maintain my calories. I only eat one meal a day roughly. Small meal at that.

    When you say Ez we talking less sets, per muscle group? Less exercise? I generally do 4 to 5 exercise per group with 4 to 5 sets depends how I feel. I try keep weight heavy to do 10 to 12 reps. Once I get comfortable doing more reps I try increase weight a little
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 3,279
    Rep Power: 11122
    coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by Construct33 View Post
    Hey need some advice. Been going to the gym just a little over 3 months, 5 days a week. I am 5' 9" 175 to 180lbs. 43 years old.

    I don't do cardio which may be my problem. My weight hasn't changed much really from the beginning. Just bounce between the 5lbs differences.



    I do
    Day 1-Chest, Biceps
    Day 2- Back
    Day 3- Shoulder, Triceps
    Day 4- Legs
    Workout about 1hr 1/2

    Use creatine, bcaa, whey protein, 3 scoops. Weight gainer maybe twice a week.


    After looking at the January 7th photo I kinda feel like my belly is looking fatter and can't really tell much difference. I use the weight gainer cause been struggling to eat and my wife was saying I looked like a crack head in my face. I want more cut, what do I need to do to look more musclar. How do I lose the fat pack and also keep gaining muscle.

    Tried to post pictures but need 50 post to do so.

    Three things,

    Your workout split is not set up for reasonable frequency. You should hit each muscle twice in an 8 day period, or twice in a seven day period with low volume…

    You don’t describe anything about your actual progression, how you push to make the body change and adapt…

    The diet thing, it’s got to match your goals. 1 small meal is for cheerleading, not bodybuilding. Make sure you are getting in the neighborhood of 200 G protein a day, then manipulate carbs and fats for your goals.
    Last edited by coachcalande; 01-31-2022 at 06:28 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Every workout is GAME DAY!
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    joe joewattie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: rochester, ny
    Age: 75
    Posts: 213
    Rep Power: 2997
    joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    joewattie is offline
    Originally Posted by Construct33 View Post
    Sorry for delay took week vacation.
    I do core every day. But on Back Day I do more exercise for core training.

    From pervious post I use weight gainer to try help maintain my calories. I only eat one meal a day roughly. Small meal at that.

    When you say Ez we talking less sets, per muscle group? Less exercise? I generally do 4 to 5 exercise per group with 4 to 5 sets depends how I feel. I try keep weight heavy to do 10 to 12 reps. Once I get comfortable doing more reps I try increase weight a little
    You were talking about shoulder pain and problems with your arm when working biceps.

    So you're talking about 5 exercises times 5 sets times 12 reps equals 300 reps on a bad shoulder? Ouch. I was just pondering less of everything on the bad parts but, perhaps, more frequently to compensate for the "less". Listen to your body. Out of the five exercises you might find one or two that don't cause abnormal pain? Perhaps stick with those until things start clearing up? Experiment. You certainly don't want to be worsening any injuries.
    joe Henry
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
We support Ukraine and condemn war. Push Russian government to act against war. Be brave, vocal and show your support to Ukraine. Follow the latest news HERE