Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User Tk1611's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 22
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    Tk1611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tk1611 is offline

    How often to train?

    Hi there,

    Recently started my gym journey, been going for about 3 months now. I'm slim build and my goal is to pack on the muscle. I'm currently going 2/3 times a week simply because I tend to ache a day or two after going. I feel as though this routine isn't maximising my progress and wonder what people would recommend, whether going 4/5 times a week would be better whilst working out with the muscles still aching or If I should be waiting for full recovery like I currently am. Also would love any tips to help speed recovery up as much as possible. I am currently working on my diet, trying to eat high calories and protein in the day.

    Thanks.

    Edit:
    I'm currently following a program which does full body every time, taking about 1hr 30 in the gym
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,599
    Rep Power: 5076
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by Tk1611 View Post
    Hi there,

    Recently started my gym journey, been going for about 3 months now. I'm slim build and my goal is to pack on the muscle. I'm currently going 2/3 times a week simply because I tend to ache a day or two after going. I feel as though this routine isn't maximising my progress and wonder what people would recommend, whether going 4/5 times a week would be better whilst working out with the muscles still aching or If I should be waiting for full recovery like I currently am. Also would love any tips to help speed recovery up as much as possible. I am currently working on my diet, trying to eat high calories and protein in the day.

    Thanks.

    Edit:
    I'm currently following a program which does full body every time, taking about 1hr 30 in the gym
    Typically folks get sore TWO days after training. Delayed onset muscle soreness is common with resistance training.

    If you are lifting hard and with enough volume to create soreness that lasts two days…try training your full body twice a week and see if that helps you recover.

    From a twice a week full body lift, consider progression to an upper/lower split hitting each day twice a week or twice in an 8 day period.

    For example:

    Monday- full body
    Thursday- full body

    After a few weeks/ try…

    Monday and Thursday upper body
    Tuesday and Friday lower body

    You might enjoy a rotation for more recovery like this..

    Monday- upper
    Wed- lower
    Friday- upper

    Monday -lower
    Wednesday-upper
    Friday- lower
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Tk1611's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 22
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    Tk1611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tk1611 is offline
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Typically folks get sore TWO days after training. Delayed onset muscle soreness is common with resistance training.

    If you are lifting hard and with enough volume to create soreness that lasts two days…try training your full body twice a week and see if that helps you recover.

    From a twice a week full body lift, consider progression to an upper/lower split hitting each day twice a week or twice in an 8 day period.

    For example:

    Monday- full body
    Thursday- full body

    After a few weeks/ try…

    Monday and Thursday upper body
    Tuesday and Friday lower body

    You might enjoy a rotation for more recovery like this..

    Monday- upper
    Wed- lower
    Friday- upper

    Monday -lower
    Wednesday-upper
    Friday- lower
    hi there, thanks for ur comment, i’ve been doing a lot of research, i’m thinking about a split workout plan, but going quite intense, would a 3 day rotation doing it twice a week work? so working 6 days a week.
    for example:
    monday- chest, triceps, biceps
    tuesday- back, shoulders, core
    wednesday- legs
    thursday-saturday- repeat
    sunday- rest

    would this be a good idea?
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User TAWS6's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Posts: 13,018
    Rep Power: 32840
    TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TAWS6 is offline
    Look into Fierce 5 full body novice if you're not already at/or near the 225 bench, 315 squat mark. Run that for 6 months and then switch to the intermediate upper/lower for a few years. Rotate bulk and cut cycles as needed. Don't write your own programming or follow pro level bodybuilding spilts that are used by geared lifters.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,599
    Rep Power: 5076
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by Tk1611 View Post
    hi there, thanks for ur comment, i’ve been doing a lot of research, i’m thinking about a split workout plan, but going quite intense, would a 3 day rotation doing it twice a week work? so working 6 days a week.
    for example:
    monday- chest, triceps, biceps
    tuesday- back, shoulders, core
    wednesday- legs
    thursday-saturday- repeat
    sunday- rest

    would this be a good idea?
    There certainly have been millions of bodies built on three day splits. That’s hard with real life getting in the way and real responsibility piling up while your at the gym or driving to and from it…

    In my OPiNION a two day split with more days out of the gym offers superior mental and physical recovery as well as greater flexibility around real life responsibilities.

    With today’s gas prices, fewer trips to the gym will allow more money towards proper nutrition as well.

    I personally have done several splits but for the last twenty five years have used an upper/lower split performed every other day.

    Have fun, good luck with it.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Tk1611's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 22
    Posts: 8
    Rep Power: 0
    Tk1611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tk1611 is offline
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    There certainly have been millions of bodies built on three day splits. That’s hard with real life getting in the way and real responsibility piling up while your at the gym or driving to and from it…

    In my OPiNION a two day split with more days out of the gym offers superior mental and physical recovery as well as greater flexibility around real life responsibilities.

    With today’s gas prices, fewer trips to the gym will allow more money towards proper nutrition as well.

    I personally have done several splits but for the last twenty five years have used an upper/lower split performed every other day.

    Have fun, good luck with it.
    thank you for the advice, only reason i’m thinking a 3 day split is because i’m currently a student with not a lot to do so i’ve got a quite a lot of time on my hands which i’m willing to dedicate to the gym to improve myself.
    Just don’t want to be over training myself and doing more damage than good.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User TheShadowMan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 2,580
    Rep Power: 18611
    TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheShadowMan is offline
    Upper/lower is a pretty decent split, has both potential for good volume and frequency, which isn't common to see together. Flexible scheduling, recovery tends to work also. For many many years I was stuck adamantly into full body training every other day, but thought to try out upper/lower out of curiosity and it's quickly making me a fan. It's worth checking out, least for a few weeks to see if it works for ya.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

    Training journal: https://igoodies.000webhostapp.com/?viagra=showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User coachcalande's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Age: 55
    Posts: 1,599
    Rep Power: 5076
    coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coachcalande is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    coachcalande is offline
    Originally Posted by Tk1611 View Post
    thank you for the advice, only reason i’m thinking a 3 day split is because i’m currently a student with not a lot to do so i’ve got a quite a lot of time on my hands which i’m willing to dedicate to the gym to improve myself.
    Just don’t want to be over training myself and doing more damage than good.
    When I was in college I used this split:

    Day 1- chest and back, abs
    Day 2- legs, calves
    Day 3- shoulders, arms, forearms, abs
    Day 4- rest
    Repeat.

    As long as you don’t care about being in the gym on any given day, it’s a workable rotation.

    Similarly

    1- chest/ arms (beach muscle day)
    2- legs, calves
    3- back, shoulders
    4- off


    Similarly
    1- chest, shoulders, tris
    2- legs, calves
    3- back, bis
    4-rest
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

    Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

    Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    heavily caffeinated grapegorilla's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Age: 49
    Posts: 303
    Rep Power: 649
    grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    grapegorilla is offline
    Whatever you choose, don't neglect compound movements. I find it's easy to get caught doing a bunch of isolation exercises and spending a lot of time doing them.
    ▪[]─────[]▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #80 ▪[]─────[]▪
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #13 ▪[M]====[6]▪

    It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User nickg4's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Age: 30
    Posts: 51
    Rep Power: 148
    nickg4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nickg4 is offline
    4 days a week is probably fine
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
www.000webhost.com