Reply
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Registered User Animag771's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    Animag771 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Animag771 is offline

    Kettlebell Program (Needing expert advice)

    Hey everyone! So, I've never done any weight training in the past, only bodyweight and nothing for any considerable length of time. I have also never attempted to follow any sort of exercise program before. So... yeah I'm a 29 year old (male), 5' 10", 135lb newbie. With all that said; My wife and I plan to start working out together and have purchased a some kettlebells to progress through for a good while. We have a total of 5 kettlebells, 1 of each 8kg (18lb), 12kg (26lb), 16kg (35lb), 20kg (44lb), & 24kg (53lb). My goal is to develop better functional strength and along the road maybe put on a few pounds. My longer term goal is to hit a target weight of 150lb, but would be stoked to get to 160lb some day.

    After doing A LOT of reading and watching A LOT of videos online, I kept coming back to Mark Wildman's "Nerd Math" videos. I know that pretty much everybody suggests to start out with Pavel's "Simple and Sinister" program due to how minimalist and approachable it is. The problem I have with it is that it's just too minimalistic and I feel that my wife and I would get bored of it and be tempted to move to something else. After watching a lot of Mark Wildman's videos I (think I) pieced together most of what he explained in is "Nerd Math" and plugged it all into a spreadsheet to run the program. Sadly, due to my lack of experience (0 to be exact) in weight training, I'm not sure if my interpretation of his program will produce results in the real world. This is where I ask all of you "will you please look at this and tell me if it looks right or if things need to be changed?".

    Oh and I kind of just threw the warmup together based off of multiple sources and plugged in reps that I thought would be adequate. Then I ran through the warmup using a light (8kg) kettlebell to make sure it was enough to raise my heartrate and target all the major muscle groups. Not sure if I missed something though.

    I left the cooldown up to improv based on how I'm feeling after each workout, but just input a few suggestions for future reference.



    I really appreciate any and all help you all can give me on this.
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,383
    Rep Power: 18125
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
    Hey everyone! So, I've never done any weight training in the past, only bodyweight and nothing for any considerable length of time. I have also never attempted to follow any sort of exercise program before. So... yeah I'm a 29 year old (male), 5' 10", 135lb newbie. With all that said; My wife and I plan to start working out together and have purchased a some kettlebells to progress through for a good while. We have a total of 5 kettlebells, 1 of each 8kg (18lb), 12kg (26lb), 16kg (35lb), 20kg (44lb), & 24kg (53lb). My goal is to develop better functional strength and along the road maybe put on a few pounds. My longer term goal is to hit a target weight of 150lb, but would be stoked to get to 160lb some day.

    After doing A LOT of reading and watching A LOT of videos online, I kept coming back to Mark Wildman's "Nerd Math" videos. I know that pretty much everybody suggests to start out with Pavel's "Simple and Sinister" program due to how minimalist and approachable it is. The problem I have with it is that it's just too minimalistic and I feel that my wife and I would get bored of it and be tempted to move to something else. After watching a lot of Mark Wildman's videos I (think I) pieced together most of what he explained in is "Nerd Math" and plugged it all into a spreadsheet to run the program. Sadly, due to my lack of experience (0 to be exact) in weight training, I'm not sure if my interpretation of his program will produce results in the real world. This is where I ask all of you "will you please look at this and tell me if it looks right or if things need to be changed?".

    Oh and I kind of just threw the warmup together based off of multiple sources and plugged in reps that I thought would be adequate. Then I ran through the warmup using a light (8kg) kettlebell to make sure it was enough to raise my heartrate and target all the major muscle groups. Not sure if I missed something though.

    I left the cooldown up to improv based on how I'm feeling after each workout, but just input a few suggestions for future reference.



    I really appreciate any and all help you all can give me on this.
    I've seen a lot of Wildman and he's pretty good with athletica. That program looks good enough to start with, and if you notice any problems along the way then you can adjust it. No need to overthink things, especially just starting out.

    The StrongFirst forum is also good for alternative lifting. Around here we're mostly barbell lifters.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://igoodies.000webhostapp.com/?viagra=showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Animag771's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    Animag771 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Animag771 is offline
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    I've seen a lot of Wildman and he's pretty good with athletica. That program looks good enough to start with, and if you notice any problems along the way then you can adjust it. No need to overthink things, especially just starting out.

    The StrongFirst forum is also good for alternative lifting. Around here we're mostly barbell lifters.
    Thanks taking the time to look at the program. I know I shouldn't overthink things too much, but it's kind of like my way of gamifying it. It's fun for me this way. I took up your advice and posted this thread in the kettlebell forum at StrongFirst. I plan to use barbells later on, but I figured kettlebells would be a great way to start building strength and learn the fundamentals before going to barbells. The barbell is pretty intimidating after all, especially for a newbie, at home lifter like myself.

    I did just realize I probably need to swap my light/heavy days on the TGU and swings because if I decide to do snatches I probably shouldn't do them the day after my heavy day on swings. I also noticed that none of these exercises to a particularly good job of targeting the chest, so after a while I may end up wanting to add in single arm kettlebell floor presses. Then I'll also end up having to swap my heavy/light days for C&P and squats as well. So I guess I may as well just start off the program with like this...

    Sun: Recover
    Mon: C&P (Heavy) + Squat (Light)
    Tues: TGU (Light) + Swing (Heavy)
    Wed: Recover (OR Single Arm Floor Press later on)
    Thurs: C&P (Light) + Squat (Heavy)
    Fri: TGU (Heavy) + Swing (Light)
    Sat: Recover (OR Snatch)
    Last edited by Animag771; 02-28-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Time is Muscle ECGordyn's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts: 2,383
    Rep Power: 18125
    ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ECGordyn is offline
    Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
    Thanks taking the time to look at the program. I know I shouldn't overthink things too much, but it's kind of like my way of gamifying it. It's fun for me this way. I took up your advice and posted this thread in the kettlebell forum at StrongFirst. I plan to use barbells later on, but I figured kettlebells would be a great way to start building strength and learn the fundamentals before going to barbells. The barbell is pretty intimidating after all, especially for a newbie, at home lifter like myself.

    I did just realize I probably need to swap my light/heavy days on the TGU and swings because if I decide to do snatches I probably shouldn't do them the day after my heavy day on swings. I also noticed that none of these exercises to a particularly good job of targeting the chest, so after a while I may end up wanting to add in single arm kettlebell floor presses. Then I'll also end up having to swap my heavy/light days for C&P and squats as well. So I guess I may as well just start off the program with like this...

    Sun: Recover
    Mon: C&P (Heavy) + Squat (Light)
    Tues: TGU (Light) + Swing (Heavy)
    Wed: Recover (OR Single Arm Floor Press later on)
    Thurs: C&P (Light) + Squat (Heavy)
    Fri: TGU (Heavy) + Swing (Light)
    Sat: Recover (OR Snatch)
    Barbells and kettlebells are excellent compliments to each other, but I'd say they're worlds apart in terms of strength and physique development. Compare the physiques and strength levels of powerlifters vs Pavel or Wildmanor another KB specialist, and you'll see what I mean. I started using KBs recently after almost 5 years barbell training, and I love the dynamic movements of KBs for demanding I move in different planes, not just frontal and sagittal. But they don't develop as much muscle and strength IMO.

    Yeah kettlebell specialists often lack chest and shoulder development. That's something that could be improved in KB programming.
    2020 maxes
    Squat 185
    Bench 137
    DL 205
    bw 88.5 age 43

    Workout Journal: https://igoodies.000webhostapp.com/?viagra=showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
www.000webhost.com