Reply
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Registered User ZsigmondA's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Age: 51
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    ZsigmondA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ZsigmondA is offline

    Smile Trying Powerlifting/Strongman

    Hello, my name is Artur and I'm now 16 y/o. I'm about 1.90 m and 93-94 kg. I've been going to the gym for 6 months and I've found lifting weight with the goal of lifting more weight very captivating. But I have my fears, since I have no idea of the risks and the other things. I'm mostly working with one of my much older friend but he's not fully into powerlifting and some things are still unclear for me. Firstly, I need to know if it's a bad thing if I start at 16 y/o with lifting weight in a more serious way if I concentrate 100% on form and keep my back safe and the belt tight. Secondly, is 3000-3500 calories enough for a 2-2.5 hour workout 6 days a week? And lastly, how would powerlifting/strongman training affect my later life, after 50 years old.

    Thanks a lot for the help in any case.
    Best wishes from Romania.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User PhDPepper1111's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2020
    Posts: 420
    Rep Power: 8108
    PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    PhDPepper1111 is offline
    Artur, welcome to the party!
    If you have concerns about lifting at your age, talk to your doctor, but there are plenty of 16 yo lifters out there doing some pretty cool stuff!
    Understand your situation, and if you don't have anyone who can help coach you, then do your best with your friend, but also youtube has some really amazing channels on powerlifting.
    Starting with a focus on form etc of course is very smart.
    3000+ calories will have you in caloric surplus but at your age and height I'm guessing that will be fine. For just starting out, I'd also recommend trying to get lots of protein (2.6-3.8g per kg of bw) and you can go from there with nutrition.
    Training now will put you lightyears ahead of myself, and all the research says lifelong resistance training is fantastic for you including longevity and physical and mental health. I turn 50 this year and frankly am not sure I've ever felt better.
    Why NOT?

    5'6", 202
    Age: 49

    Results:
    2/27/21 PNW drug tested championships 468/308/501
    10/10/2020 FS meet: 407/303/474

    Gym PRs:
    479/315/494
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User ZsigmondA's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Age: 51
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    ZsigmondA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ZsigmondA is offline
    Originally Posted by PhDPepper1111 View Post
    Artur, welcome to the party!
    If you have concerns about lifting at your age, talk to your doctor, but there are plenty of 16 yo lifters out there doing some pretty cool stuff!
    Understand your situation, and if you don't have anyone who can help coach you, then do your best with your friend, but also youtube has some really amazing channels on powerlifting.
    Starting with a focus on form etc of course is very smart.
    3000+ calories will have you in caloric surplus but at your age and height I'm guessing that will be fine. For just starting out, I'd also recommend trying to get lots of protein (2.6-3.8g per kg of bw) and you can go from there with nutrition.
    Training now will put you lightyears ahead of myself, and all the research says lifelong resistance training is fantastic for you including longevity and physical and mental health. I turn 50 this year and frankly am not sure I've ever felt better.
    Thanks for the advices. I usually try to get about 250g protein a day in strength days at least. My friends has been taking care of me in the gym especially about the form. He doesn't really want me to do PR which I can understand and for now I usually do 5 reps with the max weight I can do them: 120 squat(265 pounds)x5, 110 deadlift(240 pounds)x5 and 85 bench(187 pounds)x3-4. I really hope I'll get far even if I cannot dedicate 100% to it.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User PhDPepper1111's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2020
    Posts: 420
    Rep Power: 8108
    PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000) PhDPepper1111 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    PhDPepper1111 is offline
    Originally Posted by ZsigmondA View Post
    Thanks for the advices. I usually try to get about 250g protein a day in strength days at least. My friends has been taking care of me in the gym especially about the form. He doesn't really want me to do PR which I can understand and for now I usually do 5 reps with the max weight I can do them: 120 squat(265 pounds)x5, 110 deadlift(240 pounds)x5 and 85 bench(187 pounds)x3-4. I really hope I'll get far even if I cannot dedicate 100% to it.
    This is true - without training you can't hope to make gains!
    You can use a number of online tools to estimate one rep max if you do multiple reps such as https://exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.
    Good luck - and better yet - keep at it!
    Why NOT?

    5'6", 202
    Age: 49

    Results:
    2/27/21 PNW drug tested championships 468/308/501
    10/10/2020 FS meet: 407/303/474

    Gym PRs:
    479/315/494
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User ZsigmondA's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Age: 51
    Posts: 6
    Rep Power: 0
    ZsigmondA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ZsigmondA is offline
    Good luck - and better yet - keep at it![/QUOTE] Alright, thanks a gain for everything. Good luck in the gym for your self too.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User andreabk's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2020
    Age: 51
    Posts: 11
    Rep Power: 0
    andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andreabk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    andreabk is offline
    Originally Posted by ZsigmondA View Post
    Hello, my name is Artur and I'm now 16 y/o. I'm about 1.90 m and 93-94 kg. I've been going to the gym for 6 months and I've found lifting weight with the goal of lifting more weight very captivating. But I have my fears, since I have no idea of the risks and the other things. I'm mostly working with one of my much older friend but he's not fully into powerlifting and some things are still unclear for me. Firstly, I need to know if it's a bad thing if I start at 16 y/o with lifting weight in a more serious way if I concentrate 100% on form and keep my back safe and the belt tight. Secondly, is 3000-3500 calories enough for a 2-2.5 hour workout 6 days a week? And lastly, how would powerlifting/strongman training affect my later life, after 50 years old.

    Thanks a lot for the help in any case.
    Best wishes from Romania.
    It may effect you negatively in the long term due to all the strain on your joint and muscles but not nessearily.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
www.000webhost.com