Reply
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User WeightedDip's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 60
    Rep Power: 14
    WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    WeightedDip is offline

    Rotator Cuff (OHP Machine Press vs OHP Dumbells)

    Quick and simple question. I simply can't do neither right now, as I'm out for a few weeks to let my shoulder recover after getting pain in my deltoid / rotator cuff area. I'm dropping delt raises and also trying to find the safest alternative for my shoulders.

    So I'm going to keep this question short and sweet. We all know, the DB Overhead Press would produce better results than the Machine OHP on the hammer strength machine. However, which one is safer for the rotator cuff, tendons, and deltoid? Again, I'm not worried about results going forward. Which one is safer?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 341
    Rep Power: 2136
    BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000)
    BeginnerGainz is offline
    I would think anything that locks your arms and hands from rotating naturally (BB/smith machine/machine press) would affect your shoulders negatively. I know they did mine.

    I countered this by doing palms up band pull aparts every night on my rest days and ditching all overhead press days and treated it like an accessory to bench press, in the form of seated DB clean and presses.

    Long story short, more upper back work, less pressing and maybe more external rotator work and lateral raises would probably do wonders for your shoulder health.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User DCSpartan's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Age: 48
    Posts: 11,140
    Rep Power: 20122
    DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DCSpartan is offline
    Generally DBs >> barbells >> machines in this regard.

    With DBs you need to make certain you pick a weight that isnt so heavy you cant stabilize it and it causes worse shoulder issues (ie keep the reps up like 6-8+ and not 1-3)
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User WeightedDip's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 60
    Rep Power: 14
    WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    WeightedDip is offline
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I would think anything that locks your arms and hands from rotating naturally (BB/smith machine/machine press) would affect your shoulders negatively. I know they did mine.

    I countered this by doing palms up band pull aparts every night on my rest days and ditching all overhead press days and treated it like an accessory to bench press, in the form of seated DB clean and presses.

    Long story short, more upper back work, less pressing and maybe more external rotator work and lateral raises would probably do wonders for your shoulder health.
    I'm defiantly not touching a smith machine. I feel that would be tremendous to my shoulder. However, I'm glad you responded, because I knew there was forgetting something on my rehab list. I'm planning to start doing about (4 Rotator Cuff) Exercises with bands every other day. And I almost left out pull-aparts, thanks for the reminder! So do you feel like these have helped? Also have you increased stretching before pressing and if so has it helped?

    As for lateral raises, I've honestly been doing these and I'm scared of these right now not knowing if the pain is coming from my Delts. However, I've been known to switch back and forth from dumbells to bands for the delts. I may try switching my Raises over to strictly bands and including them in my "rehab routine."

    DCSpartan, I think you're right that DB's are superior to barbell and machine in most cases. The only thing that has be concerned is I've been doing a lot of heavy DB OHP with my heavy weighted dips lately and I'm afraid this could have played a role in my rotator or delt injury. In fact, the last time I OHP'd with dumbells, I was honestly using excessive weight and that could have done the damage. But I'm not ruling out weighted dips either as I dip extremely heavy.


    One last important question, I'm planning to incorporate more body building than strength training from here on out. I've honestly got a great base strength that I'm happy with, but I don't want to lose what strength I've worked for. I'd like to hear if any of you after shoulder injuries have been able to press heavy again? I'm hoping I can do a minimum of (2) strength sets a week / low reps, that way I can keep my base strength and not lose any of it. I obviously won't be doing anything heavy until I feel absolutely no pain. But I'm wondering if I could get by with maybe (2) sets per week?

    My strength gains sky rocketed, over doubled in 15 months. But I think a big part of what led to this was I was incorporating way too many heavy sets throughout the week. (Heavy Dips and Heavy Bench both.) I'm hoping I can eliminate the bench, and get in at least (2) sets of heavy dips after a full recovery without causing a flare up.

    I'll be starting Band Rehab in a few days, I started Ice / Heat therapy yesterday and tonight my shoulder is FEELING WAY WAY better with minimum pain unless I get into the dip position with my hands and flex really hard. I'm now starting to lean torwards inflammation and something swelling causing it to pinch possibly being that it seemed to subside after ice.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 341
    Rep Power: 2136
    BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000)
    BeginnerGainz is offline
    Originally Posted by WeightedDip View Post
    I'm defiantly not touching a smith machine. I feel that would be tremendous to my shoulder. However, I'm glad you responded, because I knew there was forgetting something on my rehab list. I'm planning to start doing about (4 Rotator Cuff) Exercises with bands every other day. And I almost left out pull-aparts, thanks for the reminder! So do you feel like these have helped? Also have you increased stretching before pressing and if so has it helped?

    As for lateral raises, I've honestly been doing these and I'm scared of these right now not knowing if the pain is coming from my Delts. However, I've been known to switch back and forth from dumbells to bands for the delts. I may try switching my Raises over to strictly bands and including them in my "rehab routine."

    DCSpartan, I think you're right that DB's are superior to barbell and machine in most cases. The only thing that has be concerned is I've been doing a lot of heavy DB OHP with my heavy weighted dips lately and I'm afraid this could have played a role in my rotator or delt injury. In fact, the last time I OHP'd with dumbells, I was honestly using excessive weight and that could have done the damage. But I'm not ruling out weighted dips either as I dip extremely heavy.


    One last important question, I'm planning to incorporate more body building than strength training from here on out. I've honestly got a great base strength that I'm happy with, but I don't want to lose what strength I've worked for. I'd like to hear if any of you after shoulder injuries have been able to press heavy again? I'm hoping I can do a minimum of (2) strength sets a week / low reps, that way I can keep my base strength and not lose any of it. I obviously won't be doing anything heavy until I feel absolutely no pain. But I'm wondering if I could get by with maybe (2) sets per week?

    My strength gains sky rocketed, over doubled in 15 months. But I think a big part of what led to this was I was incorporating way too many heavy sets throughout the week. (Heavy Dips and Heavy Bench both.) I'm hoping I can eliminate the bench, and get in at least (2) sets of heavy dips after a full recovery without causing a flare up.

    I'll be starting Band Rehab in a few days, I started Ice / Heat therapy yesterday and tonight my shoulder is FEELING WAY WAY better with minimum pain unless I get into the dip position with my hands and flex really hard. I'm now starting to lean torwards inflammation and something swelling causing it to pinch possibly being that it seemed to subside after ice.
    Doing the band pull aparts ALONE (High to low, shoulder forward, palms up) were literally the only thing I added to my workout and it had an additional upside, my upper back gets a good pump from them even with the light bands (I use Bodylastics 3 or 5 lbs bands). 100 contraction is 100 contractions, so my traps, rear delts and rotator cuffs are being worked simultaneously.

    Ditching overhead press (except for seated clean and press) helped as well. I’m back to benching and doing dips pain free (although I prefer hand release push ups and close grip bench as additional chest/tricep work).
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User WeightedDip's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 60
    Rep Power: 14
    WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    WeightedDip is offline
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Doing the band pull aparts ALONE (High to low, shoulder forward, palms up) were literally the only thing I added to my workout and it had an additional upside, my upper back gets a good pump from them even with the light bands (I use Bodylastics 3 or 5 lbs bands). 100 contraction is 100 contractions, so my traps, rear delts and rotator cuffs are being worked simultaneously.

    Ditching overhead press (except for seated clean and press) helped as well. I’m back to benching and doing dips pain free (although I prefer hand release push ups and close grip bench as additional chest/tricep work).
    Great info and good to know. I've already added the pull aparts to my rotator cuff training / therapy routine after your post and I already have a set of bands! Woke up feeling hardly any pain at all after icing so I think the swelling is probably going down and it's going to recover. With that said, I'll still be rehabbing for at least two weeks and icing and starting the with the bands. Thanks for the help and glad to hear you were able to get back on the bench again!
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 341
    Rep Power: 2136
    BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000) BeginnerGainz is just really nice. (+1000)
    BeginnerGainz is offline
    [QUOTE=WeightedDip;1596031991]Great info and good to know. I've already added the pull aparts to my rotator cuff training / therapy routine after your post and I already have a set of bands! Woke up feeling hardly any pain at all after icing so I think the swelling is probably going down and it's going to recover. With that said, I'll still be rehabbing for at least two weeks and icing and starting the with the bands. Thanks for the help and glad to hear you were able to get back on the bench again![/QUOTE

    No problem, the more people I can help with shoulder pain, having lived with it for years, the better.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
www.000webhost.com