Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
  1. #1
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline

    I've actually made some gains! but for what at this age?

    I made a post way back in 2005, complaining a bit and probably asking for advice. Everything in that post has remained true for the following 15 years up until the past few months. But somehow I've finally made gains. At 47 years old, I've finally made a real and noticeable gain. One of the replies in my old thread was: eat like I'm going to the electric chair, lift heavy weights, and watch. Nothing ever happened aside from getting fat and having to reduce food. It took 15 more years to realize a positive result and learn something that I can use going forward.

    I've focused on single leg squats, some single dumbbell clean and press movements. pull ups (still lucky if I can get 4 good ones), bicep curls and tricep extensions using gymnastic rings. I've also been trying to get towards handstand pushups. The thing that I think has helped the most is sleep. I've never slept more than 4-6 hours a night, and sometimes less. I've always felt like crap - tired, weak. Make it 8-10 hours, and sometimes even 12 hours, and things change completely. Things change for real on some sleep. I can actually feel things and I'm learning my body. Before now, I would just drag my body into the dirt and think that was fitness, and thought it was just how I was or my genetics. With some real sleep, It's like a completely different person. I can tell when it's time to eat, what to eat; when, what and how hard I should work out. It's almost stupid easy when you can hear what your body is telling you. It's just really dull when you're always tired.

    So I'm 47. I think half the reason for attempting any weightlifting was for girls. Get strong, look good, get confident, date girls. Secondly, part of me always loved the strongman competitions. So now that I've made my very first gain, what can I expect in the next 10 or so years as I hopefully continue in this positive direction? I should definitely get out to the clubs and start talking to young ladies before it's too late. I'm sure the girls will look past my turkey neck, wrinkly elbows and balding head. I imagine it would take quite a few more years, but I could get into strongman myself! I'm sure I have good chance to stand up against athletes in their mid 20s and 30s. Age is just a number, right?

    Lol. Grandpa age making his first noticeable gain; how sad...
    Last edited by trtlp; 12-04-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User KidFreeze's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 202
    Rep Power: 1623
    KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000)
    KidFreeze is offline
    Nice.

    Such bad advice when people say you need to eat more. You don't! We are not in our 20's anymore. I barely reach 2000 calories a day and doing just fine with progress.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by KidFreeze View Post
    Nice.

    Such bad advice when people say you need to eat more. You don't! We are not in our 20's anymore. I barely reach 2000 calories a day and doing just fine with progress.
    I didn't eat so much in my 20s either. In fact, my 20s aren't really anything to measure against. I was addicted to playing guitar in my 20s, so I had back and shoulder problems, I sat stationary for than would be considered healthy, and was generally weak and lethargic.

    I wish someone would have seen my errors and helped me 25 years ago. I missed life...
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,344
    Rep Power: 25980
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Apologies if I'm misreading this, but despite describing progress you sound like your lacking something, some kind of "magic" in this thing. You need more drive, more kick-ass hunger. You need a difficult but realistic goal to drive you forwards.

    10 pull-ups x 3sets

    Set this as your new goal. I'll make a public confession. I was embarrassingly poor at pull-ups for years. I did a bit of lat pull now and again, the occasional weak pullup or two but mostly avoided the issue. (I wasn't obese and had good general fitness).

    I'm sure that there are 1000 opinions on this, but this is what worked for me YMMV. I got loads of contradictory advice, most of it said to do negatives, these just made me sore. Lat pull didn't give obvious pullup benefits, I was going nowhere.

    I ignored advice to avoid assisted pull-ups machine on the basis these are as specific to pull-ups as negatives because negatives aren't exactly the same either.
    I set the assistance so it was exercise but inside my comfort zone to do 4 sets of 10.
    I did this Monday Wednesday and Friday
    After a week I moved to 11 reps, the next week 12 reps per set
    Each time I completed a week of 12 reps with no failure and no missed sessions I'd go to 7 reps but one pin on the stack less assistance (if the week wasn't perfect I'd repeat, on a couple of occasions I moved back a rep due to feeling bad). Then add reps week by week until back to 12*4 and move up the pin and back to 7 reps again

    It took a very long time of consistent hard work but eventually I ran out of pins positions on machine and moved to no assistance on "real" pull-ups bars with the aim to do 4 sets of 5. I was humbled as it was harder but it got me on the first rung of the ladder. Over time I moved to 6 sets of X reps 3 times a week, where X=10.

    You are already ahead of where I started. Take it from me.. a former pullup incompetent that it's definitely an achievable goal, even for someone not gifted in pull-ups and age >40. I'm glad I did it even though progress was slooooooow at times

    Get a resistance band if you don't have access to an assisted machine. Make a start. 3 sets of 10 good pull-ups is your new goal. This is a challenge to you!
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 12-04-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(
    Squat, Press, Squat, Press, occasionally some DL or other things too
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 8,579
    Rep Power: 74602
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Gains for what? At your age? So what? All my gains started after age 59, and it’s in no way been for nothing. In fact, I think it’s saved my life at least once, and I strongly believe that this old geezer life is still worth saving.

    The way I look at it, you don’t get too old to train, you get too old to NOT train.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Apologies if I'm misreading this, but despite describing progress you sound like your lacking something, some kind of "magic" in this thing. You need more drive, more kick-ass hunger. You need a difficult but realistic goal to drive you forwards.

    10 pull-ups x 3sets

    Set this as your new goal. I'll make a public confession. I was embarrassingly poor at pull-ups for years. I did a bit of lat pull now and again, the occasional weak pullup or two but mostly avoided the issue. (I wasn't obese and had good general fitness).

    I'm sure that there are 1000 opinions on this, but this is what worked for me YMMV. I got loads of contradictory advice, most of it said to do negatives, these just made me sore. Lat pull didn't give obvious pullup benefits, I was going nowhere.

    I ignored advice to avoid assisted pull-ups machine on the basis these are as specific to pull-ups as negatives because negatives aren't exactly the same either.
    I set the assistance so it was exercise but inside my comfort zone to do 4 sets of 10.
    I did this Monday Wednesday and Friday
    After a week I moved to 11 reps, the next week 12 reps per set
    Each time I completed a week of 12 reps with no failure and no missed sessions I'd go to 7 reps but one pin on the stack less assistance (if the week wasn't perfect I'd repeat, on a couple of occasions I moved back a rep due to feeling bad). Then add reps week by week until back to 12*4 and move up the pin and back to 7 reps again

    It took a very long time of consistent hard work but eventually I ran out of pins positions on machine and moved to no assistance on "real" pull-ups bars with the aim to do 4 sets of 5. I was humbled as it was harder but it got me on the first rung of the ladder. Over time I moved to 6 sets of X reps 3 times a week, where X=10.

    You are already ahead of where I started. Take it from me.. a former pullup incompetent that it's definitely an achievable goal, even for someone not gifted in pull-ups and age >40. I'm glad I did it even though progress was slooooooow at times

    Get a resistance band if you don't have access to an assisted machine. Make a start. 3 sets of 10 good pull-ups is your new goal. This is a challenge to you!
    I was just starting to give negatives a real go. Last "session" I did like 25 sets of "1" negative, lowering myself over 30+ seconds, and staying at the top as long as possible. I was sore, but I only did one round, so I can't say anything more about it.

    Thanks for your reply.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User John Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Age: 52
    Posts: 15,962
    Rep Power: 10137
    John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000) John Prophet is a name known to all. (+5000)
    John Prophet is offline
    47?

    Im 52 and out for all the gains I can get. I guess I must have a futile and pointless life. I should be eating chips and watching TV more. Oh wait, I dont have cable...nevermind

    Hell, my weightlifting (for squatting) shoes just got delivered today. Shoot, I guess I should have bought geritol instead
    "Humility comes before honor"
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Gains for what? At your age? So what? All my gains started after age 59, and it’s in no way been for nothing. In fact, I think it’s saved my life at least once, and I strongly believe that this old geezer life is still worth saving.

    The way I look at it, you don’t get too old to train, you get too old to NOT train.
    For myself, I don't see any value in being an old geezer - ripped or not. I somehow got lost in time and I'm still trying to make goals and milestones that where due 25 years ago. I can't imagine any of that is going to get better as I get older. I can say I have been a reliable employee, always working multiple jobs; but nothing much else.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Last otter standing Jtbny's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 13,978
    Rep Power: 93988
    Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Jtbny is offline
    Originally Posted by KidFreeze View Post
    Nice.

    Such bad advice when people say you need to eat more. You don't! We are not in our 20's anymore. I barely reach 2000 calories a day and doing just fine with progress.
    Eating should be based on your activity level, not your age.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

    "Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    LisaSkinnoble's Man -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Posts: 37,981
    Rep Power: 34242
    -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    -=FLEX=- is offline
    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post
    So I'm 47. I think half the reason for attempting any weightlifting was for girls. Get strong, look good, get confident, date girls.
    okay


    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post

    But somehow I've finally made gains.

    At 47 years old, I've finally made a real and noticeable gain.

    So now that I've made my very first gain

    Grandpa age making his first noticeable gain; how sad...

    Pics of gain? WTF we talking about here?


    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post
    I should definitely get out to the clubs and start talking to young ladies before it's too late. I'm sure the girls will look past my turkey neck, wrinkly elbows and balding head. I imagine it would take quite a few more years, but I could get into strongman myself! I'm sure I have good chance to stand up against athletes in their mid 20s and 30s.
    LMAO. Not even sure if serious.
    Insta: flexjs

    Perseverance, Inc.

    Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

    RIP Gene Rychlak
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    okay





    Pics of gain? WTF we talking about here?




    LMAO. Not even sure if serious.

    It's mostly sarcasm and depression. I've always been thin, weak, tired, borderline malnourished. catching colds 4 times as often as other people. I got my first weight set when I was like 14. Been in gyms, basement, garage, all those years for nothing. Never got the nutrition or rest parts right. Just this year, I've hit a combination of work, rest and nutrition that has actually done something noticeable. It's taken me 30 years to get a formula that actually builds some muscle. Albeit very little, but it is good. So sarcastically I may be able to work my way towards some competitive athletics - at 47. Or I can start finally chasing girls - at 47. It partially celebrating a win, but mostly a depressing realization that it's taken me 30 years to to do something I'd bet most here figured out in the first year of any training. I'm so far behind the curve, and I've missed out on some basic things that the confidence from training and good health would've made real.

    I posted the same thing here in 2005, and plugged away for another 14 years. Until finally, I actually broke through and succeeded at something.
    Last edited by trtlp; 12-04-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User tblodg15's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2018
    Age: 52
    Posts: 1,024
    Rep Power: 14475
    tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    tblodg15 is offline
    I did workout in high school for a few years and had a good build and then stopped except for 2 months in my mid 20's. I then gained weight and was fat in all of my 30's and 40's until I started lifting again and eating better at 49.

    Do I regret not working out over those 25-30 years? A little but not much because you can't change the past and I was busy raising my kids during that time. Now at 52 I workout because I enjoy it and it makes me feel good as well as drastically improving my health!

    You can say you missed out or be glad you found it at 47, you are still younger than many of us on here.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Eating should be based on your activity level, not your age.
    That, and actually how much to eat may have been a nice thing to know at some point. I can't even count how many times I made "gains" in fat. I was never one to buy bigger pants to accommodate fat. So I'd go back to a meal or two a day. I could almost rinse, repeat that scenario a good 1/3 to 1/2 the time of my 30 years of failure.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,344
    Rep Power: 25980
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Eating should be based on your activity level, not your age.
    My personal challenge is to set my eating level based at what I need not based at what I want although that's not really related to age
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User LWW's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Age: 41
    Posts: 761
    Rep Power: 714
    LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    LWW is offline
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Eating should be based on your activity level, not your age.

    LOL, just because you said this. I know plenty of fat ass lifters who use this as an excuse to EAT,EAT,EAT.

    In before you say "yeah that's me".

    Having fun, I still don't know how to post that green laughing face? LIL HELP over here?
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 8,579
    Rep Power: 74602
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post
    For myself, I don't see any value in being an old geezer - ripped or not. I somehow got lost in time and I'm still trying to make goals and milestones that where due 25 years ago. I can't imagine any of that is going to get better as I get older. I can say I have been a reliable employee, always working multiple jobs; but nothing much else.
    Well then your problem lies not in your training, but in your lack of self respect. Can't help you there.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Last otter standing Jtbny's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 13,978
    Rep Power: 93988
    Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Jtbny is offline
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    My personal challenge is to set my eating level based at what I need not based at what I want although that's not really related to age
    The challenge is real

    So many blame age as the reason they gain weight when in reality they use age to slow down. I'm 44 and don't consider it "old" but realize I'm not 21 either. I can't recover the same way but I CAN still get after it. What will make it worse for recovery is eating like shti or not eating enough. If I did slow down I'd surely add weight but thats all a function of activity levels not age.

    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    LOL, just because you said this. I know plenty of fat ass lifters who use this as an excuse to EAT,EAT,EAT.

    In before you say "yeah that's me".

    Having fun, I still don't know how to post that green laughing face? LIL HELP over here?
    That's huge in the strongman community from my experience. Powerlifters, now, seem to be looking at aesthetics as well as strength. That old "have to feed the gains" mentality is on the downswing, at least near me. Still, I'd agree there are some that use lifting as an excuse to eat too much and they end up fat(ter).

    I don't know if thats you? You've never posted a single pic or vid.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

    "Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,344
    Rep Power: 25980
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    ... I still don't know how to post that green laughing...
    Use : D
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    LisaSkinnoble's Man -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Posts: 37,981
    Rep Power: 34242
    -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -=FLEX=- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    -=FLEX=- is offline
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Still, I'd agree there are some that use lifting as an excuse to eat too much and they end up fat(ter).
    Oh Hai!
    Insta: flexjs

    Perseverance, Inc.

    Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

    RIP Gene Rychlak
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Last otter standing Jtbny's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 13,978
    Rep Power: 93988
    Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Jtbny is offline
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Oh Hai!
    I was on that bus at one time too
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

    "Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    I love my power hour MrCarrot's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Age: 39
    Posts: 1,120
    Rep Power: 3852
    MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    MrCarrot is offline
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    I did workout in high school for a few years and had a good build and then stopped except for 2 months in my mid 20's. I then gained weight and was fat in all of my 30's and 40's until I started lifting again and eating better at 49.

    Do I regret not working out over those 25-30 years? A little but not much because you can't change the past and I was busy raising my kids during that time. Now at 52 I workout because I enjoy it and it makes me feel good as well as drastically improving my health!

    You can say you missed out or be glad you found it at 47, you are still younger than many of us on here.
    Same here, worked out in school, then again when I was in my late twenties. Gave it up and spent 10 years getting fat and weak.

    Started again at 37 and been doing it for almost a year and a half now. My physique is quite different now, more muscular than my teens but a lot leaner than my late twenties.

    At first it didn't bother me that throughout my thirties I chucked it all away, as like you I was raising children, focusing on my career, etc. Although now realising how long cut and (sensible) bulk cycles take, I kind of wish I hadn't given up previously.

    In terms of food I started a cut around 2,000 calories. I've been bulking around 7 months now and only gaining very slowly, increasing calories very gradually, and I'm currently on 3,400 calories which I would have found hard to believe 12 months ago.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User ampire's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 33
    Posts: 1,033
    Rep Power: 3047
    ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ampire is offline
    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post
    It's mostly sarcasm and depression. I've always been thin, weak, tired, borderline malnourished. catching colds 4 times as often as other people. I got my first weight set when I was like 14. Been in gyms, basement, garage, all those years for nothing. Never got the nutrition or rest parts right. Just this year, I've hit a combination of work, rest and nutrition that has actually done something noticeable. It's taken me 30 years to get a formula that actually builds some muscle. Albeit very little, but it is good. So sarcastically I may be able to work my way towards some competitive athletics - at 47. Or I can start finally chasing girls - at 47. It partially celebrating a win, but mostly a depressing realization that it's taken me 30 years to to do something I'd bet most here figured out in the first year of any training. I'm so far behind the curve, and I've missed out on some basic things that the confidence from training and good health would've made real.

    I posted the same thing here in 2005, and plugged away for another 14 years. Until finally, I actually broke through and succeeded at something.
    Try to find a type of exercise you enjoy and really focus on the enjoyment of it, rather than superficial goals. I think a passion for an activity will give more confidence and achieve physique goals as a consequence of exercise rather than the primary focus of it, as that breeds insecurity.

    Maybe strongman is what you want or maybe something else will click, you could try powerlifting, crossfit, martial arts, rock climbing, indoor rowing, running, mountain/road bicycling etc. Sports/athletics will enable you to meet women with similar interests.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User LWW's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Age: 41
    Posts: 761
    Rep Power: 714
    LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    LWW is offline
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I don't know if thats you? You've never posted a single pic or vid.
    Incorrect on pic I’ve posted a pic of a bulky forearm and of me lifting with my teeth which made mtpockets envious and jealous.

    But I’m a lifter only I don’t have goals of washboard abs. High rep squats alone are making me move faster and faster even carrying extra BW.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Bored drudixon's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Coppell, Texas, United States
    Posts: 12,187
    Rep Power: 60726
    drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    drudixon is offline
    Originally Posted by KidFreeze View Post
    Nice.

    Such bad advice when people say you need to eat more. You don't! We are not in our 20's anymore. I barely reach 2000 calories a day and doing just fine with progress.
    Depends on the person. I'm losing weight with anything under 3k atm.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 8,579
    Rep Power: 74602
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Depends on the person. I'm losing weight with anything under 3k atm.
    Exactly. There's too much "one size fits all" advice given in these threads, when in reality it fails to fit many.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User LWW's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Age: 41
    Posts: 761
    Rep Power: 714
    LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    LWW is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Exactly. There's too much "one size fits all" advice given in these threads, when in reality it fails to fit many.

    There are some simple things that will, always work, for anyone, however its easy to "get lost" with all the nonsense.

    I don't train as an Olympic lifter at all, however I try to do the "clean and press/jerk" here and there. I continue, and continue to get better, and better, even with the whole "squat clean" just through taking care of the "most important basic things".

    I bet I've even gotten better at the snatch, which personally I feel is a stupid lift. If I can clean/press/jerk a heavy weight, why the phuck would I snatch a lighter weight?
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Age 58 MajorTendonitis's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Location: BC, Canada
    Posts: 8,893
    Rep Power: 64219
    MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajorTendonitis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MajorTendonitis is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Gains for what? At your age? So what? All my gains started after age 59, and it’s in no way been for nothing. In fact, I think it’s saved my life at least once, and I strongly believe that this old geezer life is still worth saving.

    The way I look at it, you don’t get too old to train, you get too old to NOT train.
    I’ve gotta remember that saying
    Asteroid 2020
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Thanks for all the replies to my whining post. :-D

    I am not accurate on calories. Half the time I have no clue. I try to to follow a protein like chicken breast about the size of my fist, and then sides like vegetable or potatoes. Eggs and potatoes is popular as well. I really heavily on two protein shakes a day. I eat a fair amount of cereal as well

    Just last week I had a really good work out. The next day I missed a protein shake, and fell asleep on the couch and missed dinner. I woke up at 1am and ate a bit, but I'm sure it didn't compensate for missed dinner. Or did it? That scenario is very common, but what is the nutrition window? Of course it's kinda late now, but it would be nice to understand how to fuel recovery after a workout, how to gauge nutrition needs for working and varied activity levels.

    I can also say with certainty, that I do not want to bulk. I absolutely loath feeling fat. It's a horrible feeling and it drags me down.

    Off and on over the years, I've felt that conscientious body building is almost a leisure mans game, as the amount of effort and - dare I easy pampering with rest and fabulous food is not the norm. I've worked more than my share of double shifts and 48 hours without sleep, and I've gone more days without eating than I can count. That's often normal for a hard working person, but is everything "anti" for health and bodybuilding.
    Last edited by trtlp; 12-09-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 8,579
    Rep Power: 74602
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Originally Posted by trtlp View Post
    Thanks for all the replies to my whining post. :-D

    I am not accurate on calories. Half the time I have no clue. I try to to follow a protein like chicken breast about the size of my fist, and then sides like vegetable or potatoes. Eggs and potatoes is popular as well. I really heavily on two protein shakes a day. I eat a fair amount of cereal as well

    Just last week I had a really good work out. The next day I missed a protein shake, and fell asleep on the couch and missed dinner. I woke up at 1am and ate a bit, but I'm sure it didn't compensate for missed dinner. Or did it? That scenario is very common, but what is the nutrition window? Of course it's kinda late now, but it would be nice to understand how to fuel recovery after a workout, how to gauge nutrition needs for working and varied activity levels.

    I can also say with certainty, that I do not want to bulk. I absolutely loath feeling fat. It's a horrible feeling and it drags me down.

    Off and on over the years, I've felt that conscientious body building is almost a leisure mans game, as the amount of effort and - dare I easy pampering with rest and fabulous food is not the norm. I've worked more than my share of double shifts and 48 hours without sleep, and I've gone more days without eating than I can count. That's often normal for a hard working person, but is everything "anti" for health and bodybuilding.
    Nutrition windows exist, but they’re of secondary importance in the bigger picture. Looks to me like what’s more important to you at the moment is sleep windows. You might want to prioritize that.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User trtlp's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2016
    Age: 47
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    trtlp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trtlp is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Nutrition windows exist, but they’re of secondary importance in the bigger picture. Looks to me like what’s more important to you at the moment is sleep windows. You might want to prioritize that.
    I get unreasonably tired when I work out as compared to not working out. I wish I could find the root to that.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
www.000webhost.com